Skip to content
- Achilles notch – A cut out indentation on the shoe’s rear to lessen pressure on the tendon.
- Bar stabilizer – adds rigidity when the heel hits the ground.
- Collar – the opening site of the shoe to insert the foot.
- Eyelet – punched out hole in shoe to allow inserting laces.
- Heel Counter – stiff material to strengthen the rear of the shoe.
- Heel Wedge – helps lift the rear of the shoe.
- Instep – cushion section of a sock liner
- Lining – the inner walls of the collar, in contact with the foot.
- Outsole – most bottom part of the shoe, contacts with the floor/ground.
- Midsole – sandwiched between upper and outsole, made of shock absorbing material.
- Quarter – medial and lateral outer linings of a shoe.
- Sock Liner – inner material that comes in contact with the plantar foot.
- Toe box – distal part of shoe that covers the toes.
- Toe Cap – thick material on distal toes to protect against hitting.
- Tongue – strip of material located underneath the laces.
- Upper – covers entire part of shoe. This includes vamp and quarter.
- Vamp – covers the top side of the mid-foot.
- Welt – seen in dress shoes, rubber that connects upper and outsole.